Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Blog on Perspectives - Pedro Salles Leite


During class, when we were shown the maps video, it got me thinking deeply about maps and how the video made sense, that every map is biased. Throughout the video, several examples were given of how sizes of countries were not proportional, locations were inaccurate, and even the orientation were biased. Towards the end of the video, when the map is flipped, I found very interesting how the woman said: “you can’t do this” and later added “because it’s freaking me out”. This made me realize how stuck we are to the current perception of the world, a perception where Europe is centralized, the USA is on the top left, and everything else is not as important. After reflecting upon that idea, I began to question myself about the map I drew on the first day of class. Later on, I went even further with my thoughts, and began to question why I used this map type. Finally, I was able to convince myself that I would choose another map type to follow and a drawing that is not so biased. Therefore, after some research, I figured something out. Every map will need to be biased, just because you can’t properly portray a 3D globe on a piece of paper. At this point, I was experiencing a small interior crisis, unable to find a “true” representation of the world. Looking at the Peters Projection Map, it felt strange to me mainly because of my culture. At my school, my house, and everywhere I’ve been exposed to, portrayed the earth with the “Mercator Map”. For 16 years, I have been used to look at certain proportions and certain placements that weren’t available in other representations of the world. The thing is, this representation made me feel comfortable, it made me feel like I knew more of the world than when I looked at the other type of map. This is when I realized how hard it is to look through other perspectives. However, I do think it is possible so I will attempt to change the map that I use and get used to seeing the world according to the Peters Projection Map. Even though the map will have proportional land sizes, it will still be biased in a couple of other ways. However, if I searched my entire life, I would not be able to find an accurate map so while changing maps won’t make me see the truth, it will definitely help me understand different point of views.

3 comments:

  1. If i understood correctly you want to start using the peters projection map because it will be more accurate and give you a different perspective on the world, and though i agree that it will give you a new look i think that maps are just tools and how we apply the perspective is the important thing so it would be useful to while trying to get used to one new map keep the other one in mind because sometimes you get so used to the new map that you forget about the old one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it very interesting that you mentioned us "stuck" on the same perception of the world and that because you grew up with certain people and in a certain culture, the only map you knew was the common one, the "Mercator Map". This connects to what I wrote on the blog, how different people will often have unique perspectives because they come from different places and have different cultures. Some drew the map in another way because this is what they have learned since a kid, which makes them think it is the correct "answer".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent analysis, Pedro. You did a fine job of connecting the dots among the different texts you viewed and activities you did. What you've reached is an essential ToK point, and this understanding will serve you well in this class and your other classes as well.

    Here's a related knowledge question: When presented with multiple perspectives, how can I judge what's best?

    or "is it possible to have any knowledge that is neutral?"

    ReplyDelete